Although stainless steel was used as far back as 1913, it was in 1924 that W.H. Hatfield patented 18-8 (18% chromium, 8% nickel) stainless steel, which was non corrosive and rust-resistant. The first to use stainless steel in orthodontic treatment was Lucien De Coster, working in Belgium in 1927. De Coster demonstrated his use of stainless steel at the 1931 Congress in London, impressing British orthodontist Ernest Sheldon Friel so much that Friel visited De Coster in Belgium to learn about the new material. Friel began using stainless steel bands in 1935. Friel later spent time with McKeag in Belfast to develop the use of stainless steel in orthodontics.
In 1953 C.C. Steiner designed the first .018”x.022” bracket to accommodate a stainless steel arch wire. Stainless steel arch wires had greater elasticity and comfort than the precious metals used previously.
Stainless steel anterior tape coiled and fastened with black plastic coated wires.