Community Dental Service:
- Children with physical or mental handicap, growth-related problems or diseases.
- Contact your Community Dental Service for local guidelines.
Primary Care Orthodontic Provider:
- Primary care providers ('high street specialists') provide a wide range of NHS and private orthodonic care.
- NHS referrals to primary care providers need to fulfil the eligibility criteria described here.
- All patients age 17 and under irrespective of case severity are eligible for an NHS assesment.
- Individual primary care orthodontic providers and Primary Care Trusts/Managed Clinical Networks may have local referral criteria.
Hospital Orthodontic Service:
- Malocclusions which require complex interdisciplinary orthodontics and orthognathic (jaw surgery) treatment i.e. those with skeletal anomalies and/or asymmetries
- Malocclusions which require complex interdisciplinary restorative treatment, such as severe hypodontia, ankylosed teeth, previously traumatised anterior teeth, developmental anomalies affecting tooth structure (amelogenesis/dentinogenesis imperfecta), severe tooth surface loss
- Children with physical or mental handicap, growth-related problems or disease
- Individuals with cleft lip and/or palate or other craniofacial anomalies